9/23/2006

Two interesting posts from Canada

1)
Montreal Shootings . . . But I watch the press and I remain stunned at one key point. Had every individual at l'Ecole Polytechnique, or Concordia, or Dawson College, been packing a gun, and trained in using it in short order, the number of casualties would almost surely have been much smaller overall than it was. This is a point made perfectly sensibly in a Toronto Star Column.
I am not pretending that this would not create other problems, but the casualty rate in ALL those cases would likely have been reduced were more people carrying guns. The offenders could have been defended against and eliminated much faster than by waiting for the arrival of the police. Wild west? Yup! In these specific cases likely effective. Problematic - yes. Let us have an honest discussion and not pretend these explosions are a case for gun control - in many ways they are the opposite.


Of course, I would point to the evidence on how permit holders actually behave in the US to assure him that the dangers aren't what he fears that they might be. For information on this please go to this, this, and this posts.

2) For an interesting picture of a shopping bag, please see this blog.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two interesting posts from Canada

Not to be picky, but I only see one post from Canada, John...

9/23/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Thanks, Nimrod45. The point was the link at the very end regarding the shopping bag. I guess that I could go back and put numbers next to the two sections to make it clear (indeed, I will soon do that).

9/23/2006 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, ok, I see now. I guess I've just seen the "handgun bag" pic before and knew it didn't originate in Canada. In fact, if you did carry one of those around, you'd probably have a SWAT team on your ass in 10 seconds flat...

9/24/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Yes, right, I didn't think that the picture was original there, but just that a Canadian blog had posted it. Thanks.

9/24/2006 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home