2/19/2007

ABC's This Week interview with Mitt Romney Regarding Gun Control and Mormonism

I can give Romney an easy explanation for changing his position and not supporting the assault weapons ban: the claims made by proponents about what would happen after the ban sunset in September 2004 didn't happen.

MITT ROMNEY's ABC News interview on Sunday, February 18, 2007

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) Let's talk about guns. You were supportive of the Brady Bill, the handgun waiting period in the past. You sign an assault weapon ban into law, and you said in the past, I don't line up with the NRA. Now you -

MITT ROMNEY (2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE)

Well, on that, on that issue.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) Now you're a member of the NRA.

MITT ROMNEY (2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE)

Yes. And I - and I know the NRA does not support an assault weapon ban, so I don't line up on that particular issue with the NRA, either does President Bush. He likewise says he supported an assault weapon ban. Today we don't havethe Brady Bill because we have instantaneous background checks, that's no longeran operative or needed measure. But a I'm a strong proponent of second amendmentrights. I believe people under our Constitution have the right to bear arms. We have a gun in one of our homes. It's not owned by me. It's owned by my son but I've always it sort of mine.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) When did you join the NRA?

MITT ROMNEY (2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE)

It's about - well, within the last year. And I signed up for lifelong membership. I think they're doing good things. And I believe in supporting the right to bear arms.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) This gets to, I think, the core question. You've had changes on many issues, many different kinds of issues yet they're all -

MITT ROMNEY (2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE)

Well not - certainly not that one.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) Well not - well, but joining the NRA. All going in the same direction. How do you combat the charge that these are conversions of convenience?

MITT ROMNEY (2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE)

Actually not all going in the same direction. There are other - you know as you get older and you have experience, I ran for office the first time, never having been in politics . . .


I don't include the part of Stephanopoulos' interview where he was constantly going after Romney being a Mormon, but it was pretty amazing how obsessed Stephanopoulos was with Romney's religion. Stephanopoulos and other parts of the mainstream media are bringing this up so much that they must believe that they could use it to weaken Romney, but I really think that this obsessiveness makes the media look bad. I can't believe for 99 percent of conservative Christians that it makes any real difference. After seeing the way the media discusses his religion, I can believe that it makes a difference for liberals.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home